These are the staples in my diet which I pick up on a weekly or monthly basis.
- 2 or 3 bananas
- 2 or 3 apples
- 1 or 2 oranges
- a mango
- 2 nectarines or peaches
- pints of blueberries and raspberries
- an avocado
- brocoli or brocollini
- a package of romaine lettuce
- a bag of spinach
- tomatoes. Right now I look for heirlooms but usually grab a container of cherry tomatoes.
- an onion
- a bag of whole wheat pasta
- Ezekial bread
- Old Wessex oatbran
- frozen skinless chicken breasts
- shrimp, the big guys
- any frozen fish that’s on sale, just to have a back up
- eggs. I prefer cage free.
- tofu. Usually like to buy extra firm.
Dairy or Dairy Alternative
- soymilk or almond milk
- greek yogurt: at least one large container that’s nonfat and plain
- ice cream…I refuse to give it up. My favorite brand as of late is Maple Valley.
- 100% cranberry juice. No added sugars.
- coconut water, Blue Monkey is my favorite.
- extra virgin olive oil
- coffee, the darker the better!
Shopping the perimeter of the store is really just the best way to provide yourself with means to a healthy diet. Stay strong at the grocery store, avoiding the interior aisles, and you won’t have to battle temptation later! You may have to dip into an international foods aisle from time to time but just put some blinders up and you’ll be fine!