Today was one long ass day! Man! Up at 4:30 for my first job, squeezed in a trip to GNC, quick blast of cardio at the UMass gym, met with Sean to discuss details of competing, then headed to FitWomen to teach two classes. Phew.
Details of todays workout:
20 minutes on the Arc Trainer. Intensity ranged between 35 – 50. Incline between 10 – 20.
My original workout plan for my HIIT class at FitWomen involved lots of squats and jumping. One client recently reinjured her knee so I made a workout up on the spot. I had to make it a low impact workout and I was pretty pleased with the results…
- Side steps, about 20 each side. Enough to get the blood pumping.
- Continued side steps but now with a diagonal reach.
- Small reverse lunge to knee tucks, about a minute on each side. For more of a challenge, I sat deeper into the lunge.
- Upright flyes with dumbbells, about 30 seconds.
- Continued flyes just added groovy side step.
- Extended dumbbells out in front as the side steppin’ continued. In and out in and out. Finding a rhythm was key.
- Toe taps for 1 minute.
- Side series:
- Leg extended, draw knee up to elbow, extend back out. Repeat for one minute.
- Hold leg at extended length for 15 seconds.
- Bounce the extended leg for 20 reps.
- Starfish, 20 reps
- Hold an extended Starfish for 10 seconds
- Closed/drawn in Starfish, 10 reps
- 1/3 drops, 2 sets
- Upright row to extension with dumbbell, 20 reps
- Isolated Bicep curl while standing on one leg, 20 reps
I taught and participated in a snazy little barbell class following the HIIT class. It was a bit different from my typical barbell class but it seemed to go over well with the participants. If I weren’t so tired and fearing the drag of tomorrow I would list the exercises that made up said class but alas, I am beat.
I am 10 weeks out from my competition and really feeling swell, minus tiredness. The sickness termed the flu kicked my ass for a solid two weeks but I AM BACK…and ready to make myself competition worthy. From here on out most post will be in relation to contest prep, which I am doing on my own terms. No crash diet, no weight loss pills, no crap. Just pure and clean hard work. Stay tuned! Progress photos coming Monday!